Do you know?
There 1.74 billion websites on the Internet and, 100 out of 80 websites are build with WordPress.
In this article I’m gonna talk about what WordPress is and how to set it up, for complete beginner. if you’re reading this article, it’s probably because you’ve heard of the name WordPress because you’re looking to start your first website.
if that’s the case then I highly recommend sticking around to the end of the article where I will give you a Free eBook on how to set up your first website with wordpress.
but first let’s answer the question of what is WordPress?.
What is WordPress?
Simply put WordPress is just a software that you use to build your very own website or blog and publish it on the Internet.
it is also called a content management system or CMS for you tech whizzes out there that like the lingo.
it was created back in 2003 and since then it has become one of the most popular website publishing programs in the world.
In fact WordPress powers 50% of the Internet that’s a lot of freaking websites and guess what the best part is it is free this is because WordPress is an open source software meaning that there’s thousands of software engineers out there that are working on it every day to make it better and better so shout out to those silent Guardians.
The beauty of WordPress is that you’re able to choose from 11,000 different themes which are just template layouts that determine the look and style of your website.
Things you can do with WordPress-
- you’re able to tweak all of the text including fonts and font sizes.
- you can create buttons.
- you can upload your images and videos and much more.
You can also choose from over 55,000 plugins and widgets to help optimize the functionality of your website.
So this is for people that want to maybe start a store or open up a gallery or whatever. It is on their website there’s endless opportunity on hand. Building your website with WordPress is all online.
So you can build your website from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
How does WordPress works?
How does WordPress work? well back when the internet was still somewhat of a new thing the only way to make a website was to use code in HTML or PHP format and your web browser would just interpret this code into colors and text and spaces that would form your website .
Well WordPress works exactly like this except no coding basically it takes any change that you make on your website and up the code for you and then updates your website.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org
WordPress.com is where you can go to make a free website with their web hosting but there’s a catch actually there’s several catches.
- Your website could be deleted at any time if WordPress feels that you have violated their Terms of Service for any reason.
- You can’t use ads to make money with your website, Google adsense is will not accept website build with wordpress.com.
- You can’t upload any plugins which help you optimize the functionality of your website.
- You can’t upload a customizable theme you only have their limited options free theme to use.
- You do not own your domain name so it will say something like (yourdomainname.wordpress.com).
And you’re likely here because you want to make your first website with your very own unique domain name (read the in-depth article on How to find the best domain name?) and no limitations if that’s the case you’re gonna want to be self hosted and use WordPress.org which is just where
- you can download their free software.
- let me explain by being self hosted you have access to thousands of plugins.
- you have a unique domain name that you own yourself.
- you have the ability to monetize your website with ads if you’re trying to make those dollar bills.
- you have the option to create an online store and you have complete customization over your website.
So how do you create a self hosted website with WordPress if you go over to Digitalgenic.in/ebooks you will get a free eBook on “How to create your first website with wordpress”. A completely free step-by-step guide that walks you through the whole process of creating your first website.